Thursday, June 30, 2016

Circuit Quilt Finish

Years ago, three to be exact, I made each of my kids a twin-size quilt for their beds. I love the idea of them sleeping under handmade. They were still little then and I had less than 50 quilts under my belt. Being kids I knew there would be accidents of the sort that needed a bedding backup. I then set out to make them each a second quilt. The girls and my youngest son had some opinions on color and pattern but my eldest had no idea. This went on for years! Then a few months ago he found what he wanted. I put it on my Q2 FAL list and now have finally made his second twin quilt.

Here it is! I love it! This is the Circuit quilt pattern from Fat Quarter Style. I was flicking though the book and we saw it and Spencer fell in love with it. He got all jazzed and started talking about how cool it would be with Alison Glass and a low volume background. I thought to myself, I'm raising that boy right!

Some of the prints didn't offer as high a contrast as I was hoping they would but I still think it looks great and the pattern shows through nicely.

This one is super long so if he takes after his 6'6" dad, who's straining to hold the quilt here, he'll be more than covered - see what I did there?
You can see the quilting well here. He wanted me to repeat a design I did on my other boy's quilt. It's sort of a meandering square. It went well enough after I gave up the goal of computerized machine perfection. The backing fabric was a done deal long before we found a pattern. He knew he had a quilt coming to him and literally gasped when he saw this print in the store. It is from the Flyboy line for Windham Fabrics. I bought a little over four yards, what I usually use for a twin backing. It was a bit short in the end but I made do.

Part of making do meant taking a bit of my binding fabric and creating a pieced back. This left the option for some fun scrappy binding. I love it!! All the same print just four different colors.
 
Here's a fun shot of the binding all rolled together. You can kind of see the lime on the far corner there. I even switched thread color. It worked better on the front than the back but that's totally okay.

He's such a happy guy with it on his bed and was adorable enough to say that under it he had his best night's rest ever!
Quilt Stats:
Pattern - Circuit from Fat Quarter Style
Fabric - Scrappy Alison Glass prints with the background from Comma by Zen Chic for Moda and backing Flyboy for Windham Fabrics
Thread - Pieced and quilted Aurifil 50wt
Quilting - free motion meandering squares on my domestic Juki
Size - Twin 70" by 88"
Stash Report - 100% stash! Boy does that feel good.

That's me for the week. Thanks for stopping by! I hope to have another one to share next week as I have two tops ready to go but we'll see how it goes. Until then I'm linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

8 comments:

  1. You ARE raising that boy right :) What a wonderful finish. It will be loved! On behalf of the 2016 FAL hosts, we thank you for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! Congratulations on the finish. Its the best when the kids truly appreciate the quilts you make for them. My son is the same way although he has zero opinion on the fabric options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fabulous quilt! Love, love, love the fabrics and especially the backing! Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! I love all of the different prints you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely worth waiting for! Just love the comment from your boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love that he knew exactly what fabric he wanted as a backing - you're doing a good job there! - and he's right, it's absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That boy has taste! This is an awesome finish Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're definitely doing something right if your son can pick out the pattern, fabric and backing for a quilt that looks this good! He sounds like a smart kid who knows what he likes and is sweet, too. Yes, you're doing it right! Oh, and the quilt--it's perfect! He said so himself! (You know what a great story this will be later, right?)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!